Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Let me clear my throat!

Leigh Lewis Trimble:I'm the Mom and I'm in business with my son. Living in Virginia, I thought antiques were the pieces that you found in Williamsburg. We started out hunting 18th century pieces. I need to be in business with one of my sons, because I had polio as a child. I'm currently confined to a wheel chair and could not manage this alone. We travel up and down the east coast and across the states in search for hidden treasure. We hope to share our passion for design.

D. Lewis Trimble:

My youngest son was very resistant as a teen and college student to antique shopping with his older brother Chris and his Mom. It wasn't until he went to one of the Brimfield antique shows and purchased a piece of pottery. My son was a great fan of Jasper Johns who included outlines of George Ohr's pottery in some of his paintings. After some research he realized that the piece he purchased was a George Ohr. This marked a new found interest in the hunt for wonderful things.

When I thought about modern furniture. I thought danish modern, kidney shaped tables and plastic. I was completely unaware of what really high end design from the 40's, 50's, and 60's was all about. Remember I'm from Virginia. We were steeped in traditional furniture etc. It took Lewis introducing me to some of the classics of 20th Century designs. The quality of design, the purity of the line and form, the imagination in the use of the materials was enough to convince me that these pieces equaled if not surpassed some of the revered 18th century pieces. I have found that good modern design draws it's influence from the class pieces. These pieces stand well on their own and mix well with older pieces. A whole new world of design opened up before me. I was hooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...