Thursday, September 29, 2011

Francis Elkins Loop Chair

Yesterday, Lewis came back from a buying trip with a real surprise, a Francis Elkins Loop Chair.  I'd seen pictures before and knew without asking that this was truly a great find.  I was famillar with the design, but I knew little or more likely nothing about the designer.  This is why when I blog about a new find or a design, I learn as much or more than what I write.

This is an Elkins Chair like the one Lewis found
 Frances Adler Elkins (1888-1953) is prominent among the legendary decorators of the 20th century.  As a young woman she travel abroad visiting her brother, David Adler, who was attending  the école des Beaux-Arts in Paris, where he studied Architecture. She met and was impressed by Jean-Michel Frank, the French interior and furniture designer, and Alberto Giacometti, the sculptor .She promoted their works through her decorating business.  She redesigned and had produced the classic loop chair ( which with great variation in design goes back almost 250 years).

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...