Friday, April 30, 2010

Pet Peeves, Matchy, Matchy......

Eclectic now that's a term that I really like. I guess you could say that before I knew any thing about design, I did not like to have things that all matched. This was more than likely because I inherited pieces from different family members when I started house keeping. So I made do. Sometimes necessity is the mother of invention. I grew to understand that when everything matched it looked like a furniture store. Individual pieces reflect individual taste. The items that you choose tell a story about you. Working with these harmoniously shows your own personal style. Everyone is different. No one style is correct or wrong. What is right for one person is not always right for another.

I paint and by painting I developed an understanding of color and color relationships. Complimentary colors bring a vibrancy to a painting making it sing. So playing reds against greens works as would blues and yellows. One must tread carefully they should not be equal but played artfully against each other with neutrals. Textures can also be played against each other.

I like using clean lines in my furnishings good woods, leather, stone and interesting objects. One look at our shop and you will see a wide variety of items. We specialize in Art Deco , preferring early pieces from the 1930's through the 1960's. Some of these pieces are so classic that they could easily be used with 18th century pieces. Good clean lines and classic shapes are always in style. If you want to use something that's really over the top pair it with very plain lines. OK now you've heard my ideas about decorating.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...